Southwestern AHEC's mission is "Opening doors to better health in underserved populations through education, careers and outreach.”
We do this by “Connecting Students to Careers, Professionals to Communities, and Communities to Better Health.”
Our programs focus on:
- Connecting Communities to Health Insurance - Southwestern AHEC is the Navigator for Fairfield County as designated by Access Health CT and the Office of Healthcare Advocate. Our key role is to coordinate the community outreach effort in helping educate, engage and enroll consumers in healthcare coverage. We work closely with the Assisters in providing education and resources.
- Community Health Workers (CHW)– We are overseeing a statewide task force to create the definition, roles, scope of work, training, and business case for CHWs in CT in order to create a sustainable CHW workforce in CT. The CT AHEC Network provides training and education for CHWs.
- Health Careers Diversity – Building a diverse healthcare workforce by engaging kids K- 16 in learning about health careers and the health care field.
- Children's Immunizations – Working to achieve a 90% and above level of immunization in children ages 0-2 years in the Bridgeport community,
- Connecting Oral Health and Medical Health – to identify ways to improve overall health by educating providers, consumers and communities about how the oral health links to general health.
Our success is built on building relationships and working to highlight our strengths and, the strengths of our community partners. Our impact is stronger when we link our programs to complement others in the community.
For more details regarding the organization's financial information, select the financial tab and review available comments.
View Financial Details