Congregation B’nai Jacob of Woodbridge, celebrated its 120th year in 2002. B’nai Jacob was founded by Jewish immigrants from Russia who sought refuge in America from tyranny, oppression and persecution. The congregation’s original charter, drawn in 1882, stated the purpose of the organization: “…the advancement of the interests of the Jewish people….in peace and dignity…[doing] good work for the welfare of each individual, the success of the congregation, and the benefit of mankind.”
The congregation acquired its first permanent building in 1885 located at 105 Temple St. As it grew in membership through the 1890’s and early 1900s the synagogue constructed a magnificent building on George St. On September 5, 1912, with Governor Simeon Baldwin delivering the principle address, the cornerstone for the George Street synagogue was laid. The synagogue formerly affiliated with the United Synagogue and established itself as a conservative congregation. Membership continued to increase throughout the 20th century and reached a peak of over 900 families in the 1960s. In 1957 land was acquired on Rimmon Road and the congregation’s present site was established. The building continues to be a major source of pride for B’nai Jacob’s membership and the community.
Throughout its history Congregation B’nai Jacob has been active in promoting the interests of the Greater New Haven community. Its members have been leaders both in Jewish and general society and have made social justice an important priority. The congregation has sponsored annual food, clothing and blood drives, provided assistance to charitable organizations that help the needy, homeless and disabled. In addition, B’nai Jacob has long stood at the forefront of the Zionist cause and was an advocate for the establishment for the State of Israel as early as the 1920’s. The synagogue continues to be a staunch supporter of Israel and the Israeli people.
Congregation B’nai Jacob is deeply proud of its history as an American synagogue devoted to the principles of patriotism, love of American and Jewish traditions, and the ability to adapt to changing times. As a conservative synagogue we strive to adhere to our faith within the context of contemporary life. The congregation is also proud of its prominence in the State of Connecticut and the community of greater New Haven. B’nai Jacob hopes to work closely with community leaders and activists toward a bright and promising future.
Indirect Public Support HelpIndirect public support represents revenue received through solicitation campaigns. This includes funding United Way and other federated fundraising organizations, but does not include donor designated contributions.
Earned Revenue HelpEarned revenue represents income generated in direct exchange for a product or service.Earned income includes income from government contracts.
This organization receives designated funds from The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven and has completed an abbreviated profile.
Greater New Haven’s vibrancy is linked to its communities’ support of its neighborhoods, public gardens and sports, as well as its commitment to the protection of its people and pets.
70 Audubon Street
New Haven, CT 06150
(203) 777-2386 giveGreater@cfgnh.org
© 2015 The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven. All Rights Reserved. Contact | Terms & Conditions | Privacy